Domestic Violence

  • Home
  • /
  • Domestic Violence

If you feel as though you need protection from an individual who you have a close relationship with, or have been wrongfully accused of domestic violence, you need a lawyer who understands the law and will stand up for your rights. At my law firm, I have the experience and knowledge necessary to advocate for your best interest.

I am dedicated to helping clients who want to file or those who want to challenge restraining orders.

Filing a Restraining Order — What Do I Need to Know?

Domestic violence restraining orders are available to individuals who believe they are being abused by someone with whom they have a close relationship, including:

Boyfriends, girlfriends, ex-boyfriends, ex-girlfriends

Spouses or ex-spouses

Parents, children, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandchildren

Cohabitants or former cohabitants

Domestic violence restraining orders may prevent contact between the parties in any way, and may even require the accused to move out of his or her home. The order may be issued for up to five years and thus may also affect child custody and child support. For this reason, it is imperative you seek legal counsel from an experienced attorney.

Defending Criminal Charges and Domestic Violence Restraining Orders

When a restraining order is filed, it will likely be temporary until a "permanent" order is made. You should seek legal help immediately. If you do not seek legal counsel, a "permanent" restraining order may be issued against you, which could last for up to five years. Edwin C. Lenow will do everything within our power to protect your rights and avoid a finding of domestic violence. We understand what is at stake, and will work diligently to provide the best defense and to ensure the repercussions are as minimal as possible.

How Do Restraining Orders Affect Child Custody and Support?

Tennessee restraining orders may also affect child custody and child support orders. It can limit the amount of time you spend with your children, and you may be required to pay a significant amount of money in child support and/or spousal support.

If you do not have a lawyer, your rights will not be fully protected. We have handled many cases where we have represented clients in defense against an unwanted restraining order. We will work to ensure that your rights are preserved and that custody and support impacts your situation as minimally as possible.

Don’t hesitate! Give Edwin C. Lenow a call or email today for legal issues you need assistance with.

Call us today at 901-726-1737